Exchange Relationships vs Communal Relationships
I am not going to put a context on this post yet (because it is a later chapter that is covered in the course), but basically the definitions given to the two types of relationships go as followed:
1. We like to be repaid immediately for our favours.
2. We feel exploited when our favours are not returned
3. We keep track of who is contributing what to the relationship
3. Being able to help the person has no effect on our mood.
Exchanged relationships is about ‘concerns for equity.’
vs Responsiveness to the other’s needs:
1. We do NOT like to be repaid immediately for our favours
2. We do not feel exploited when our favours are not repaid
3. We do not keep track of who is contributing to the relationship
4. being able to help the person puts us in a good mood.
Communal Relationships are governed by reponsiveness to Other’s Needs.
We will probably later in the course talk about how these relationships apply to different situations. :)